Raising Dinah

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Ma Familia. Part 1: Oh, Brother

It is my belief that everyone should have a brother. It is also my belief that everyone should have a sister, but I am not the ideal advocate for that, considering I don’t have a biological sister. I have some pretty awesome sisters-in-law, though. From the time I was a child, it has made me a little sad to hear someone say “I’m an only child.” I realize it is possible to grow up with no siblings and turn out to be a happy, well-rounded individual. It’s just impossible for me to truly grasp. I also believe that every girl needs an older brother. I have come to terms with the fact that my girl won’t have one. I’m actually ok with it. I must be growing up. Or it may have something to do with the fact that I am not usually one to worry about things I can’t change.


Whatever the case, I am glad to have had an older brother myself. He taught me things. He took up for me. He took care of me. And, he still does.
Until I transferred to a different college, and moved 2 ½ hours away, I never once paid for auto parts or repair. Labor was never a question, and parts always somehow ended up being a birthday gift, even if my birthday was 8 months away. And best of all, he is a really good mechanic. I’ve never had a car problem that he couldn’t figure out and fix. (In fact, my car is sitting at his house at this very moment.) He’s not just a good mechanic, though. He’s also great with heavy equipment. The guy can drive absolutely anything. And, over the years, I’ve watched him grow into an upright, God-fearing man. He’s a lot like my Dad, and my Grandpa. And, like my Dad and my Grandpa, he’s one of the best friends I’ve ever had. It makes me happy to think my baby girl will grow up having an “Uncle Josh.” I know he’ll be wonderful in that role, and I am anxious to witness it.


Stay tuned for thoughts on my baby brother.

No comments: