Raising Dinah

Thursday, August 12, 2010

My Dear, Sweet Grandma

I think I’ve made it clear by now how great an impact my grandparents have all had on my life. They each contributed something different and unique, and helped to shape me into the person I am today. In my own life, grandparents have provided a unique friendship that I know I’ll never share with anyone else. I will never be able to convey the extent to which they’ve shaped me, and the things they’ve taught me. I doubt I even know the extent myself.


Since I have spotlighted my Grandpas (even though I feel I didn’t do them justice), it only seems fair to continue on with my Grandmothers as well. I didn’t plan it this way, but so far I’ve gone from oldest to youngest, so I might as well keep the trend.

Without further adieu, allow me to introduce Grandma G.
Smallest in stature, and by far the meekest, she tried so hard to be fair and just with everyone. She was soft spoken, and sweet. My younger brother will tell you she was the sweetest woman on earth. My Grandpa once told me, “I met one angel in my life, and I married her.” She was a fabulous cook, and kept her house perfect. In fact, she strived to make everything she touched perfect. She made us fun summer treats, bought us the cookies and cereal that Mom always said was too expensive, and she played games and did puzzles with us. The fact that she took the time to do puzzles and play games, spoke to my young heart like nothing else she could have done. But, most importantly, she reflected Christ in her everyday actions and taught me the importance of a relationship with Him. When I was a young child, she was my Sunday school teacher. When I got a little older, anytime my parents didn’t get around in time for church or weren’t going for some reason, I picked up the phone and called Grandma to come get me and take me with her. And, of course, she happily obliged. I will never forget what it was like to walk into Grandma and Grandpa’s house. Their smiles & greetings were unmistakable. They were both genuinely happy to see me. At Grandma’s house, I belonged. No matter what was going on in my little world, I was safe and loved, supported and encouraged, when I was at Grandma’s.

No comments: